Have you played with chipotle peppers in your cooking much? They’re a smoked jalapeno pepper with such a wonderful smokey flavour and a mild heat (so long as you remove the seeds) which makes them ideal for desserts. They pair especially well with cherries, hence this weeks recipe.
Spring seems to be creeping up (in London, that is) and this dessert is bright (like the sun) and aromatic (like Spring flowers) enough to match it.
I’m a wordsmith.
Chocolate Pecan Granola Crust
200g ( 2 cups ) chocolate cherry pecan granola
3 medjool dates, fresh and pitted
30g cacao butter, melted
- Pulse the granola and dates in the food processor to break down into a rough crumble texture.
- Add the melted cacao butter and pulse to combine.
- Dampen your hands a little and press the crust into the bottom of a silicone bar mould.
- Pop the mould in the freezer to set, about 10 minutes.
Chipotle Cherry Compote
200g ( 1 ¼ cups ) frozen, pitted black cherries
50g ( ¼ cup ) xylitol
1 dried whole chipotle chili, de-seeded
Pinch sea salt
- Remove the seeds from the chili by cutting lengthwise, but not through the stem. This will keep it whole and easy to remove after cooking.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, turn the heat to medium, cover and allow the cherries to defrost, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once cherries are thawed, turn heat down to low-medium and simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until the juice has turned to a syrup.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to an uncovered jar or bowl to cool.
Cherry Chipotle Creme
75g ( ½ cup ) young coconut meat, pat dry
50g ( ¼ cup ) cashews – soaked 1 hour and rinsed
50g ( ¼ cup ) maple syrup
75g ( ¼ cup ) chipotle cherry compote with syrup
½ chipotle pepper, from the compote
1 tsp beetroot powder, optional for colour
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp water
3 drops vanilla medicine flower or ½ tsp vanilla extract
⅛ tsp sea salt
35g ( ¼ cup ) coconut oil, melted
25g ( 1 ½ tbsp ) cacao butter, melted
- Blend all ingredients until smooth in a high speed blender. Use tamper if needed to keep it moving.
- Taste and see if you want to add more chipotle o r sweetener.
- Transfer to a bowl or container, uncovered, and place in the fridge to cool, about 1-2 hours.
- Remove the granola cases from the freezer and pull the greaseproof paper tab to release them.
- Line them up on a tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Transfer the cherry chipotle custard to a piping bag fitted with a tip of your choice or none at all. You can also just use a spoon.
- Pipe or spoon the creme into the prepared moulds and place in the freezer to set, about 20-40 minutes. Tap the mould to remove bubbles.
- When ready to serve, spoon over some of the cherry chipotle compote, activated pecans and raw chocolate chips/ shaved chocolate.
FREE Videos: Start watching and learning today
Are you a visual learner? Yeah, me too. If I can’t be there in person, I love a video. This FREE mini series covers everything you need to know in order to start making professional quality chocolate at home with ease.
Want to know when a new recipe is posted?
You’re busy. I know this. You can’t keep checking my site for new recipes. Sign up for my newsletter and I’ll send you a new recipe every week. Boom!