Ready To Make Beautifully Designed Bonbons?
This class focusses on all aspects on making bonbons which includes colouring, shelling, filling and layering and capping.
Each class covers a new bonbon and therefore new designs, flavours and elements.
Technical skills that lead to creative expression
This class is more technical and multi-faceted than the Fundamentals or Soft Centres classes. It will open your mind and expand your creativity by teaching you new skills around working with chocolate to create stunning bonbons.
We use Stone Ground chocolate in various applications; shelling moulds, making layers inside the bonbons and capping. White, Milk and Dark Chocolates all have different viscosities and therefore need to be worked with in different ways and understood in their own right.
We’ll be using naturally coloured cocoa butters and stone ground chocolates in this class to create gorgeous chocolate shells.
Elements covered in this class …
Each bonbon class covers new design techqniues using easy to find tools, like paint brushes and sponges, and naturally coloured cocoa butters. Typically, I use a smaller, taller mould for my bonbons, but for these dessert bonbons, I am using a 40mm half sphere mould. This extra space allows us a wider canvas to work on and, therefore, opens up some fun designs. We always want the design to match the flavours, in this case we are sticking to a palette of brown, gold, copper and black.
An integral part of Tiramisu is coffee and, as coffee can be very overpowering to softer flavours, we need to be careful how strong this caramel is and how much we add to the bonbon to get the right balance between all layers. We’ll go over this more in class. This caramel is a vegan cooked caramel and it’s very versatile as a base recipe for your other caramel needs.
Tiramisu would not be complete without a rum element. For this layer I decided to go with a silky smooth, rum ganache. It’s a great consistency against the other elements and allows the rum flavour to shine through without it getting muddled up with other flavours. You can choose to either use a dark rum that you like or, you could make it a low alcohol bonbon by using Medicine Flower’s Rum Extract.
Pipe-able Vanilla Cake
This is a new and exciting element in my bonbon work. No need to cut loads of little discs and struggle to get each bonbon filled just right so the disc doesn’t cause problems. With this pipe-able vanilla cake, you can just pipe it on to your hearts content. It’ll create an even, flat layer with no difficulties. This will speed up your production massively and opens up loads of possibility for other types of pipe-able cake and brownie layers.
Cleaning & Polishing Moulds
This might seem like an obvious point, but caring for your professional moulds is very important. The way you care for them will ensure longevity of the mould and a brilliant, mirror shine on the chocolate.
Shelling & Capping
No matter how much experience you have in this, you can always refine your technique and learn something new. My technique for both these applications has changed over the years, and now I cap by applying chocolate to the back of the mould, rather than using an acetate sheet. It’s quick and easy once you know some little tricks and get some experience under your belt.
How Does It Work?
- After you’ve purchased this livestream class, you’ll be sent a confirmation email, which includes a link to register for the class.
- At the time and date of the class you’ll connect via the Zoom software (no extra charge to you).
- If you’ve purchased a class recording, it will be sent to you after you purchase along with the class booklet/recipes.
- You’ll be able to see and hear me. We’ll say hello when you join, so you can confirm you can hear OK.
- While I’m teaching you can type questions for me to answer. I’ll make sure we answer all questions.
- You’ll receive the class book and a recording of the session within 1-2 hours of the livestream.
- Note: This is not a follow along workshop, so there’s no need to shop for any ingredients prior to the class. You can just relax, watch at home, ask questions and be armed with your new knowledge to get in the kitchen in your own time and go at your own pace. Of course, you have all recipes and a recording of the class to refer back to whenever you want.