Beginners and Intermediate
Learn the art and science of making high quality delicious healthy chocolates at home.
Date: 18th January 2020
Time: 11am – 3pm
Location: Oval, South London
Fundamentals of Raw Chocolate is a decade of raw chocolate experience rolled into one and filled with my unique tried and tested recipes and techniques. My journey has pushed the boundaries of healthy, unroasted chocolate, from creating new textures and flavours to getting the sweetness just right. This is the class where I teach it all back to you.
- Stone Grinding – the first step towards making professional quality chocolate at home is getting the texture right and this machine is perfect for that, but it’s not the only way of making chocolate at home. We’ll also make chocolate using a high speed blender.
- Coloured chocolate – we make this from a base of white chocolate, which will be made using the blender method, and use it in a variety of ways to decorate moulds for a beautiful finish to your chocolates.
- Tempering – we’ll do this in a few different ways, one of which will be by using a tempering machine and the other will be hand tempering. So, no matter how you want to make chocolate after this class, you can do it to the most professional standards at home or work.
- Creating textures and aromas – uniquely express yourself through your chocolate. Once you understand how flavours and textures can be layered into chocolate, you’ll realise the possibilities are truly endless. We’ll be making unique textures from nuts and buckwheat and using essential oils and medicine flower flavour extracts to make them shine with flavour!
- Waterless Ganache – a lovely and very simple recipe with endless possibilities… and a great shelf life for those of you wanting to make items to sell.
- Praline – this versatile nut/seed based filling can be made into a fruit, chocolate or nut/seed based soft filling for chocolate pieces or bars.
- Enrobing – we enrobe (dip/cover) the chocolates in a few different ways in class so you have options to work within when you take to doing it after class.
- All chocolates are dairy, wheat, gluten and refined sugar free.
Fall in love with the art of making raw chocolate
- A half day workshop designed for both beginner and experienced chocolate makers to explore my unique tried and tested recipes and techniques.
- No more wasting money on dull, grainy, clumpy chocolate. Master the art of creating beautiful shiny chocolate that ‘snaps’ every time.
- Wow your family and friends with simple chocolate decorating techniques that make your chocolates look visually impressive.
- Never make ‘boring raw chocolate’ by learning how to combine textures and flavours through nuts, seeds, fruits, essential oils and spices.
- Reduce the likelihood of ‘stuffing up’ your chocolate by knowing how to “save” your chocolate when you’ve made a mistake.
- Explore what it’s like to make professional grade chocolate at a batch level – who knows, you might decide to start a business (many students have!).
Because most of us are practical learners, my classes are as hands on as possible, about 60%.
We will work through the basics of raw ingredients, understanding how they work (and don’t work) and how to work with them.
If you’re an absolute beginner, you will leave the class equipped with the secrets of the professionals, and the skills to create chocolate at a domestic level.
If you’re already creating great chocolate and want to add raw chocolate to your skill-set, this class will condense your learning to one day, so you can start creating.
To make sure you remember it all at home, upon booking your space, you’ll be sent a pdf of the class book with all recipes and techniques you’ll learn on the day.
You’ll take home a little box of chocolates to enjoy (show off) with friends and family… If you decide to share.
Your course is not just an introduction to raw chocolate, but also to a community of passionate raw chocolatiers which will support you long after the course is completed.
Techniques you will learn:
- Enrobing chocolate – a beautiful way to add your own creativity, style and flare to your finished chocolates. There are some simple tricks to enrobing pralines and bonbons to ensure an even consistency.
- How to temper chocolate — the easiest and most successful way. Trust me I’ve tried everything and this is the easiest way to get your chocolate shiny and snappy every time. It all starts with having the right ingredients and a few tools.
- Creating textures and aromas – uniquely express yourself through your chocolate. Once you understand how flavours and textures can be layered into chocolate, you’ll realise the possibilities are truly endless. Just be yourself and your chocolate will never be run of the mill.
- Coloured chocolate — one of the easiest and most effective ways to WOW your family and Friends. I’ll teach you how to achieve a professionally decorated finish because coloured chocolate makes everyone happy.
- Milk, dark and white chocolate recipes –- all 100% dairy free.
Staying connected and troubleshooting your chocolate
After the class, I encourage my students to stay connected. The raw food world is a small one, the class is as much about making new connections as it is about creating great chocolate.
Some of the people you will meet on the day you will no doubt see around, at raw food cafes or on the shelves at your local whole foods (their products, that is. Not the students themselves…)
I will be available after class via email to answer questions and help you overcome any snags that might pop up.
Most of all, by taking the class, you will be invited to join my private “Fundamentals of Raw Chocolate” Facebook group; a community for my students, many of whom have gone on to create chocolate commercially. You can post questions or comments here, and in time help others too!
BONUS: Once you complete this class, you will be given a discount on all 6 levels of my Raw Chocolate Online Course
You will be given a code (good for a lifetime), giving you 40% off. This means that you will have everything from the class, and much more, at your finger tips forever.
So, if you forget something from the class, you will have the online videos to refer to, amazing!
Kind words from our friends
Working in the industry and the huge surge in food intolerances, allergies and required diets, with Amy’s help I can face any challenge with a grin and think, “What would Amy do?”Sammy Tranger
Having Amy’s raw chocolate courses on therawchef.com makes me so proud. Our students love learning about raw chocolate from Amy, because she’s so knowledgeable and methodical.Russell James“The Raw Chef”, London UK
Amy is an inspiring teacher and someone who pushes raw culinary artistry to the edge. Her sophisticated chocolates and elegant desserts were the cornerstone at all SAF restaurants during their opening years.Chad SarnoChef, Consultant & Speaker
I love Amy’s recipes, she is always creating and sharing so openly with all of us. What’s a plus, she actually uses weight measurements (thanks, Amy)!Monika WackeFounder Schoccolatta, Switzerland
Amy Levin is a very knowledgeable and enterprising professional chef and culinary artist, whose creativity, organisational skills and teaching abilities are remarkable.Amy WebsterFounder of Simply Raw, Zurich Switzerland
Just like becoming an expert in wine–you learn by drinking it, the best you can afford–you learnJulia Child
about great food by finding the best there is, whether simply or luxurious. The you savor it,
analyze it, and discuss it with your companions, and you compare it with other experiences.”
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely. This class is designed to meet the student where they are. If you have never made chocolate before, you’ll get all the information and hands on experience needed to set you up for success.
Although you may have extensive experience making chocolate at home, you’ve not made chocolate in the way I teach it and therefore it’s important you attend this class prior to either the Candy Bars & Bombs or the Advanced Raw Chocolate classes. I don’t want you to be lost and if you don’t attend the Fundamentals first, you will be and that’s not a nice experience for you.
You are most welcome to do whatever you please after the class, however, starting a business is not the main objective of this class. — learning the Foundations of Raw Chocolate making is. If you’re interested in starting a business and developing a product line, I’d encourage you to look at my Business Packages option.
You’re more than welcome to bring your chocolate to class for others to try and give you constructive feedback on. If you’d specifically like my feedback, that’s a service I will be offering shortly.